Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
by xtraware Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:25 pm
Got a scam going on right now

I saw a VW Campervan on a local used for sale website. Price was amazing.
I e-mailed seller and got this reply

Despite the original add being in the name Matilda
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I was away to my mother in law and I just got to a pc and saw your email. This van has a full service history and all documentation is present and in my name. It has been stored in undercover storage from new so the exterior is perfect very low miles. The final price is not negotiable: £4900. My husband died 2 months ago and I was left with it but I don`t even have a drivers license. If you agree I can send you the link to my private auction on eBay so you can buy it from there since I all ready had a buyer last week who came up with some fake notes. I don`t really trust someone else to come around my house. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it because they did a HPI check(it does not have any outstanding finance). As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If you are indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.

Please let me know your decision.

Thank you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Knew straight away this was a scam as sadly I'm an ex plod.

Sent e-mail asking for ebay link got this reply
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Megan Potter ([email protected])

20:01

To:

As I said earlier with that fake buyer and those notes I`m not really prepared to allow anyone else came near to my house Here is how the process works through the Money Back Guaranteed Program.
I'm going to list it on ebay and then send you the link, you will need to click on buy it now and just follow the instructions sent to you by ebay. As soon as they will confirm that to me I am going to start the delivery through shiply.com as ebay has instructed me. Once you receive it you have two options. Option 1: You will tell ebay I received it and its in perfect order the transactions is a success and I get my money, or option two but I don`t think you will use this one, you will contact ebay and tell them you can`t keep it. They will refund you the money and thats it. end of the deal.
Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it. I would need your ebay id so I can send you the link.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The e-mail address links to

Home
.uk Domain names
About domain names
Domain lookup (WHOIS)
WHOIS tool

Result of WHOIS query:

Domain name:
momapps.co.uk

Registrant:
adina colos

Registrant's address:
Victoria Square House 12
Birmingham
Birmingham
B2 4DL
United Kingdom

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 14-Jun-2013
Expiry date: 14-Jun-2014
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wish there was a way of scamming the scammers :laugh-s:
Advertisement

by TerranceBoyce Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:15 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners xtraware.

We never scam the scammers but across at our sister site we do bait them. I'm a member there and we share tactics and experiences in what we do as well as the simple precautions to take for protection.

These aren't usually a bundle of fun to bait as they're pretty single minded in going after your money but getting them to divulge what account they're using to launder funds through is a useful victory as it can then be reported and deprive them of their most valuable resource - money laundering accounts. That hurts them. Baiting also confuses and disrupts their activities. Over here it's more helping people and over at 419eater.com we do the same but with a sort of evilly humorous edge. :D Here we do good, and over there we do good and have fun at the same time.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
by cookeeboy Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:53 pm
and this is there bank details they are useing if anyone can do anything with it
and there bank details are
Account name: Megan Potter
Sort Code: 20-05-57
Account number: 33847586
IBAN GB24 BARC 200 557 3384 7586
Swift: BARC GB 22
Barclays Bank
please be aware
by John Barry Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:58 pm
Thanks cookeeboy for posting up all the details. The bank account has been reported to Barclays and will be dealt with appropriately
by Thesolver Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:58 pm
hi again

I had the same email with the guy saying he could deliver it, I informed my local police London internet fraud section autotrader hpi and so on.

Then I spotted a fake ad on Friday ads, I'd seen the campervan for sale 5 months ago, they took the ad down.

Now bought one, it'll probably turn out to be a disaster but I saw it at the sellers home with the v5 document.

If it is too good to be true it normally is.
by dons1978 Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 pm
Thank goodness for Google, where i was slightly sucspicous of a motorhome seller, and this came up was close to parting with £3000, she emailed me the exact same thing as below. the old saying if its to good to be true it usually is is so true in this case. she would not allow me to view giving the same reasons as i have read on here. i have found her advert on several selling sites and have reported them.i hope someone can stop this person before she rips someone off!
by TerranceBoyce Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:53 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners dons1978.

It isn't a she, it's a very large organised crime group who have been very successful and you can find many stories of victims here who have lost money to them.

Never ever consider buying any vehicle you haven't seen and inspected. If it's located where you can't visit, then don't buy it, or you risk paying for a photo only. If the seller has excuses why you can't view then tell him to find another sucker.

It's not just camper vans. They'll sell you any vehicle for which they can get photos and they're mass blitzing all ad sites, even small local ones.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
by dons1978 Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:36 pm
i have reported it to the police, but am sure they won't be able to catch these people as you say they are a large group and not an individual, i also contacted the seller making them aware i realised it was a scam and got quite a vulgar email back. i was also sent lots of links such as : http://shoponline.site96.api-shopping78 ... 2:211.html and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/elddis-a ... 250726QQpt and the email address used was [email protected] . i have saved them all just incase but fear my computer may have been hacked in the process as if i try to send emails now i have t type a verification code this has never happened before.
by levyjdl2002 Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:26 pm
I have been in communication with a "woman" Barbara Blunt ([email protected]) selling a horsetrailer very cheap. Wayyy too cheap. when i asked why, it was because it was almost 10 years old. they price was still ridiculous. Then she mentioned she worked through a third party escrow company. My radar when up! here are the emails:
"Hi,
The horse trailer is still for sale. It has a clear title, very well maintained, no damages, no rust or dents and no mechanical problems. I'm asking $8000 for it, non negotiable. I have to sell this horse trailer as fast as I can because I'm currently working at sea in the United Kingdom and i'll be away for 6 months in a row with only one month vacation and then back to work for 6 months again so i won't be able to use it anymore. I can ship for free within the US if you want to buy it. Let me know what you decide. The pics speak for themselves, You'll love the trailer, I can guarantee you that!

Specs: This trailer is the perfect trailer we have enjoyed it and I am sure you would too. It has a 20 foot awning,onan generator, We just put all new tires on it that we have maybe gone 600 miles on it pulls very nice,it has mangers a stud door. It has all the upgrades you could get at the time fancy light fixtures and door nobs.It has a drop down flat screen that swivels and you can watch it from the bed or the couch/hide a bed. The back has rino lineing half way up the walls. This is like new We love it and have taken very good care of it. Its ready to go for many more years It has hydraulic jack rear lighting lights inside and out of the horse area it has a rear tack with a saddle rack.much much more. "

"the trailer is at a storage facility in OR. we can start a transaction through the shipping and escrow company i'm already registered with. You'll just register too sign in to your account and start a new transaction as a buyer. They act as a third party and will protect us both. I won't get paid til you take possession of the trailer and title and you inspect it. Email me back if you'd like to buy the trailer."

" the price is low cause I'm trying to sell it fast. besides, it's almost 10 years old."
" it is close to portland. ou can make a deposit of 30% ($2400) so i can make an appointment for you with the company. they only take appointments with buyers, they don't just show stored property"
" In order to start the deal go to the company's web site: http://www.relycargo.co and register. After the registration is complete sign in to your account and start a new transaction as a buyer. i'll get back with more pics. If you have any other questions please email me back. All best. "

So i asked for more photos...i'll see what happends :laugh-s:

"
by rosey58 Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:17 pm
Just came across a splitty camper van on autotrader for a ridiculously cheap price. Emailed the seller and something didn't seem right. I googled to see if there was a military base in the Isle of Man and came across this site. He has obviously been getting away with this for some months now. The email I received is below.

Hi,
I can confirm that the vehicle is still for sale and that never been involved in an accident. Nobody smoked in and I never carried pets. Full history and V5 document are present, HPI is clear.
My last price is £ 5000.
The only reason for selling this vehicle so cheap is because I am involved in a military project and move to Mali on November 10 and come back after 6 months. It is the first time I will go to Mali so I'm a little nervous but excited.
It would be a shame to keep the vehicle in the garage 6 months without being used and I also need some cash before leaving to Mali.
Right now I am located in a small military base in the Isle of Man because our squad do some special training here.
The vehicle is here with me inside of the base garage.
In case you are still interested to buy it please write me back since I can deliver the vehicle anywhere in UK on my cost.
Thank you for being interested in my vehicle.
Brian Crighton
by TerranceBoyce Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:08 am
Welcome to Scamwarners rosey58.

Yes - he's a prolific scammer and he's part of a large organisation and, though they use different stories, it's clear that they are all connected.

Why they use such bizarre background stories is difficult to understand. Presumably the main reason is that it has been so successful, though I suspect often that people who are prolific liars actually take satisfaction from being able to dupe people in the most humiliating manner. I've known some in real life and an interesting characteristic is that they are often more gullible than the victims they target.

by Mellymingo Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:07 am
Just had this guy doing the same thing and it's now near the end of October. For a caravan. Same scenario in army etc. Have a son in army so knew half was garbage he was saying. A great excuse no phone contact etc but on internet. New ne is now Brian crighton. Bloke must think everyone's an idiot. We kept a few emails going with him. To see. Something needs to be done. This guy is still at it.
by TerranceBoyce Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:19 am
If the ad is still live let me know the link as I've contacted him under many identities to get hold of the bank accounts he uses. Reporting them takes away their means of collecting stolen money.

If the link isn't still live, let me know the basic description and price of the camper van he claims to be selling. There are various ways I can track him down and the more info I collect the better and quicker I can do it. If nothing else it will waste his time and irritate him.

by Mellymingo Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:54 am
Haven't the link but it was a caravan on auto trader for £2000 a Lumar freelander email used is [email protected]
Luckily we were aware but kept it going to see via email. Then found this site.
Hope that's enough info. Didn't get as far as bank details.
by TerranceBoyce Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:15 am
That's enough. I've tracked down the genuine sale on ebay here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-LUNAR-FREELANDER-640-TWIN-AXLE-4-BERTH-CARAVAN-WITH-A-FIXED-ISLAND-BED-/281161739901?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item41768bae7d&nma=true&si=vsTw1f1SNeEnQEg48HzO32k4vYQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557t

It's interesting to see how they work, and it helps me to track them down as well as how to alert potential victims what to watch out for.

In this case the criminal copies the details from the real ad and invariably the phone number is a dummy or leads to an irrelevant phone service. If a seller quotes a phone number that doesn't function, be on your guard. That's a very common feature of scams as very often the criminal can barely speak English.

Insist on speaking to a seller on the phone, and seeing and inspecting the vehicle. Don't worry about losing a bargain because, if the seller can't do either of these things, the likelihood is he's a scammer.