Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
by taffian Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:21 pm
He's still at it!

I saw the ad on the AutoTrader website although I think it might have been taken off now (http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used ... ign-630-se). I queried how many seatbelts the vehicle had and this is the reply I got:

Hi,

I can confirm that the vehicle is still for sale and that never been involved in an accident. Nobody smoked in and I never carried pets. Full history and V5 document are present, HPI is clear.
It has 5 traveling seats belts.
My last price is £ 3800.

The only reason for selling this vehicle so cheap is because I am involved in a military project and move to Mali on July 15 and come back after 8 months. It is the first time I will go to Mali and I'm a little nervous but excited.

It would be a shame to keep the vehicle in the garage 8 months without being used and I also need some cash before leaving in Mali.

Right now I am located in a small military base in the Isle of Man because our squad do some special training here.
The vehicle is here with me inside of the base garage.

In case you are still interested to buy the vehicle please write me back since we can deliver the vehicle anywhere in UK on my cost.

Thank you for being interested in my vehicle.
David Rowlands

He's now using the email [email protected]
Advertisement

by ramma28 Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:03 am
Great site, just saved my £6k on attempting to buy the 2004 CI Rivera 171 Camper Van from Auto Trader.

I did lose £20 on an HPI check, but I reckon I can absorb that.

Sympathy to those who have been scammed.

As above , the a-hole is going by David [email protected] now.

Should always know if its too goood to be true, it usually is....

Cheers
by Tanz Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:22 am
He has changed his name to David Rowlands email address [email protected] same remit though based in Isle of Man on a military base leaving for Mali 15th July VW camper reg YM53HCY £4800 registration is for a vw golf his advert was on autotrader however it's been removed now hope this helps
by TerranceBoyce Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:53 am
Keep the reports of his ads coming in. It's very helpful in chasing him down.

He's not the only one posting scam ads but he's the only one using that script and 'money mule' bank accounts. That feature makes him a 'person of very great interest' to law enforcement.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
by anderson849 Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:14 am

Hi,

I can confirm that the vehicle is still for sale and that never been involved in an accident. Nobody smoked in and I never carried pets. Full history and V5 document are present, HPI is clear.
My last price is £ 4500.

The only reason for selling this vehicle so cheap is because I am involved in a military project and move to Mali on July 15 and come back after 8 months. It is the first time I will go to Mali and I'm a little nervous but excited.

It would be a shame to keep the vehicle in the garage 8 months without being used and I also need some cash before leaving in Mali.

Right now I am located in a small military base in the Isle of Man because our squad do some special training here.
The vehicle is here with me inside of the base garage.

In case you are still interested to buy the vehicle please write me back since we can deliver the vehicle anywhere in UK on my cost.

Thank you for being interested in my vehicle.
David Rowlands,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi.

Yeah he/she tried it again with me. I knew it was too good to be true but thought it was worth an enquiry. Alarm bells rung after this reply.

I feel for the people that have been caught out with this. I am currently serving in the RAF so it angers me when people use the armed forces as a source of fake identity.

I wish there was a way of taking the law into your own hands with people like this. Especially when the police and banks refuse to do anything about it. I thought of emailing them to pretend to "want in" on the scams but not sure how much personal information you would be able to get out of them and wether they would fall for that approach anyway. Most likely not.

Anyway I hope this problem can be resolved for good.

David.
by TerranceBoyce Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:42 am
Welcome to Scamwarners anderson849.

The information you post acts as a warning to other potential victims and saves them from losing money.

Of course the information is also useful for hunting and tracing the scammers, which is more the activity undertaken at 419eater.com and the sites are complimentary in that respect. Information I get from scammers, I can post here and information from here can help me track them down and at least find what other identities they're using.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
by vonpaso xlura Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 pm
Anderson, if you do want to pretend to be a victim of this scam, please see us over at http://forum.419eater.com.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
by no victim su Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 pm
Cant believe it. Thank goodness that I have common sense. I had Annabell Lounds email and reported her to Internet Fraud and that was off the Caravan Club site. I also emailed about a motorhome I had seen on Auto trader and guess what!! David Rowlands!! Again I was suspisious as he was in the Isle of man, did a search for his email and ended up on here!! The email you have posted is identical to mine. Tomorrow I shall again report this. Itmakes me so wary about even buying one now! But they will not get my money until I have the keys in the ignition!! They need stopping as some people are vulnerable and at the end of the day we all want a good bargain. Annabel or whatever his name is, has said even though the vehicle is supposedly in my area Stoke on Trent that she doesnt want anyone going to the house as a man came rounbd with fake notes and he is ringing her late at night!!!! But if she puts it on ebay as a private sale, I click on the link and when funds are clear she will send it at no cost. I decided to play her and asked if it was ok for the AA to come and check it as it was local and no need for ebay fees. She replied that she is still scared but assured me if there is so much as a scratch I can get full refund!! SOOOO angry!!
by TerranceBoyce Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:53 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners no victim su.

There's a gang and they operate on the major selling platforms - auto trader, Ebay, Gumtree and I suspect one in ireland too. They use the same basic format but each appears to use their own script. Another successful member claims to be located in Scotland and they're posting up around one a day, changing the type of van and the amount every time. I found one today on Autotrader and the original Ebay posting they'd taken the photos from, at three times the price. The most likely bargains are the scams - obviously. There's no point them doing anything else.

by no victim su Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 am
Just had another email from him, same as one sent to a previous poster. He wants to send it to me and me pay by google wallet! I am just thinking of a suitable reply!! I sent him a mail saying my Cousin was on the Isle of man in the Millitary and he was just about to take leave and would pay cash and drive the vehicle back for me. Funnily enough he ignored that. What can we do about them? It upsets me to think of people being scammed out of their hard earned cash.
by no victim su Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:57 am
I have mailed Auto Trader but expect they wont do anything, I also told them they should vet ads more closely and take proper contact details but they will come up with some lame excuse. If I can spot a scammer then surely they can, after all they have a duty to their readers. Warning about scams is a cop out they should protect buyers more.
by no victim su Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 am
ps. Thankyou for the welcome x
by vonpaso xlura Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:41 am
Please post the link to the fake Google Wallet site so that we can kill it.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
by no victim su Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 am
This is what he put on the last mail, I havent replied yet so if its not the right one let me know and I will mail him and ask to send it!

http://wallet-uk-google.com/owa/how-it- ... #how-works

Kill it kill it kill it!!
by ste515 Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:37 pm
Hi

I have found a to good to be true Honda CRV (On E bay) and to cut a long story short I have received exactly the same e mail regarding Isle of Man and waiting to go to Mali etc,

Price was far to tempting

Luckily I have not let go of any cash after reading this forum...

Thanks