Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
by TerranceBoyce Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:25 pm
http://www.mjc-machinery.com/

Yet another example of the deluge of scam websites claiming to be selling machinery at bargain prices to steal money from victims.

M J CARNEY LTD
Office: Bishton Lane, Wolseley Bridge, Stafford, ST18 0XD, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 188 987 8612
Fax: +44 (0) 872 352 8108
Email: [email protected]

mjc-machinery.com
Registrar Info
Name GODADDY.COM, LLC
Whois Server whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL http://registrar.godaddy.com
Status clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited
Important Dates
Expires On November 04, 2014
Registered On November 04, 2013
Updated On November 04, 2013
Name Servers
ns73.domaincontrol.com 216.69.185.47
ns74.domaincontrol.com 208.109.255.47

There is no such company registered at Companies House and you can find examples of the machines they're offering for sale appearing on other websites at much higher prices, such as the one below.

http://www.mjc-machinery.com/product.php?id=48

New Holland LB 95B - 2007

Price: 7000,-EUR

The same photos appear here

http://www.kfm-trading.com/index.php/used-equipment/backhoe-loader/new-holland-lb-95b-4pt

New Holland LB 95B-4PT

Price (euro)26950.00

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

by nogginthenog Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:17 am
I can confirm that this is a fraudulent website. I have been investigating this on behalf of the Carney family, who have been the victims of identity theft by the perpetrators of this fraud. So far 4 fake websites have been posted using the name M J Carney and a different variation of the domain name each time a site is closed down. One person in Croatia and another in Lithuiania have contacted the farm claiming to have been defrauded of significant sums paid out as deposits for equipment via bank transfers. Also the farm has received visits from several prospective customers from as far afield as Germany and Norway, who have flown in to the UK and arrived at the farm expecting to view equipment.

If you have any new information about this fraud it should be forwarded to http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ who are actively investigating the fraud and hopefully may be closing on on the perpetrators.
by TerranceBoyce Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:25 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners nogginthenog.

You only have to read the many postings going back years covering hundreds of websites that have been set up by these criminals. The set up should be well known to the police already because there have been many hundreds of victims who have lost money, which is inevitably laundered through UK bank accounts. None of this is top secret and the involvement of the police or government would be welcome as, apart from the loss of money to many people in Europe, it is also destroying the of the businesses that these criminals victimise.

I have never seen any recognition by any UK authority of the existence of this criminal organisation whose frauds extend far beyond just the agricultural and construction machinery industry. Being retired from the UK banking industry and having had an active interest in frauds for quite some time, my comments aren't merely hot air. The point at which the criminals open bank accounts for the purpose of disposing of the stolen money (which is transferred out of the UK economy) should be the 'golden key' to expose the identities of the criminals but banking procedures have become so hopelessly lax it is considered normal for a bank to have no clue as to the real identity of their customers, which was never the case in my day.

To make a difference, victims, whether they have lost money or had their good name abused by these criminals, should make representations to their MP. It's something I have done myself in the past to good effect, and I have misgivings as to whether or not the police have the will or the ability to do anything to counter the activities of these criminals.

Only today I have reported something like 20 fraudulent adverts for cars, camper vans, tractors and construction machinery for sale on major ad sites and my contribution was one of the lesser ones. Underlying all this is the ease with which criminals are able to launder stolen funds through UK banks, indeed even frauds perpetrated abroad have the funds transferred from as far away as Australia, simply because UK banks are so much more lax than any other countries' banks. They don't choose where to open accounts because they offer the best service and better rates of interest. If the criminals couldn't open accounts the frauds would virtually disappear.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
by nogginthenog Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:33 am
The site has now been removed by the hosting company. This is the fourth domain that has fraudulently used the identity of MJ Carney. I expect another variation will appear in a few days, although on the plus side, using this forum we spotted another clone site on the same host, so that has now been reported as well. Also, at least we now have a standard pro-forma to send to the hosting companies :?

If anyone doubts the viability of this fraud, I can tell you that the farm given as the business address has so far been visited by 5 different potential "customers" traveling from locations such as Norway, Germany and the Czech republic to the UK with the intention of viewing equipment. They have also received solicitors letters and claims from people stating they have parted with large sums of money as deposits on equipment from Croatia and France.

The ba@#*rds running the operation do there best to persuade anyone who contacts them to part with money either as full payment or as a returnable deposit to hold machinery if they want visit the UK to inspect it. The cheeky sods even promise to accommodate these "customers" at the farm.

I agree with you that the ease with which bank transactions can be carried out anonymously by criminals is a major flaw in the current UK banking system that needs to be addressed. I suspect we may have a long wait before anything happens though :(

All the best
Noggin
by TerranceBoyce Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:04 am
When the criminals turn their money laundering bank accounts against the banks it's astonishing how quickly and effectively they respond, and how speedily they contact the newspapers to show crow about how they act against money launderers. Of course their actions are governed by self-interest and, as long as the money being stolen isn't theirs, their inactivity is predictable.

Theoretically the FSA or the FCA (whatever their name is this month) regulate the UK financial sector, but their reputation is in such tatters banks have nothing to fear from them.